Wapiti Whitewater Kayakers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Communication Center for Grande Prairie's Wapiti Whitewater Kayakers Club

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Our new schedule at the Multiplex has been updated and posted on our website calendar www.wapitikayakers.ca and on the forum.

April 15, 2011 Friday 9:30-11 pm First Timers & Club Members Pool Session

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
SillyHillyBilly
Admin
SillyHillyBilly

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2007-05-06

April 15, 2011 Friday 9:30-11 pm First Timers & Club Members Pool Session  Empty
PostSubject: April 15, 2011 Friday 9:30-11 pm First Timers & Club Members Pool Session    April 15, 2011 Friday 9:30-11 pm First Timers & Club Members Pool Session  Icon_minitimeTue Nov 16, 2010 10:15 pm

This is an invite to attend our First Timers and Regular Club members night.

Time: Be there at approx 9 pm to give yourself time to pay the fee, sign waivers, get changed and fit a kayak. We are always getting ready by the back door of the pool by the bleachers. Just look for the pile of kayaks and introduce yourself since we are expecting first timers. In the water time runs from 9:30 pm till 11 pm. Most nights after the session we go to Boston Pizza.

Cost: First Timers $20.
Club Members $15/person when not bringing your own whitewater/polo kayak. $12/person if you bring your own whitewater/polo kayak.

First Timers:
We can only accomodate up to 6 first timers for each session so if you are interested please put up a post on this forum and we will add your name to the reserved list. If for some reason you cannot make it please let us know in advance so that we can try and fill the spot you left vacant.

First Timers Reserved List:
1. Brad Mulligan
2. Brandon Mulligan
3. Reserved - Cirwin
4. Reserved - Cirwin
5. Felipe Soto
6. Travis Dugan

Format:
Before changing, Pay your fee by entering your name in the log sheet and how much you paid. Complete any waivers. Get changed, boat fitting then to the water. First timers start with 3 wet exits and then we go through paddling stokes. Kind of a A-Z of paddling in 1.5 hours. AFTER YOU HAVE BEEN TO A FIRST TIMERS SESSION, YOU ARE WELCOME TO ATTEND ANY CLUB POOL SESSION.

Misc Info:
* We ask that First Timers decide before their second pool session if they want to become members, and to pay the cost of that membership at the start of the second pool session. Memership is only $30/person or $60/family, and expires the nearest January 1st.

* Come dressed as if you were going swimming. Nice to haves are: goggles, noseplugs if you are trying eskimo rolling. Water shoes are also good.

* We rent the entire pool so if you have friends or family who want use the hot tub at no cost feel free. Of course there are practical limits to this invitation like the size of the hot tubge

* When going to the front desk of the pool (After meeting us at the back by the bleachers) just let the people know you are there for the kayaking session and they will let you in to get changed.

* We ask that club members do not store their boats at the pool since we only have so much room. For club volunetters and instructors you can store one kayak at the pool. This should help the overcrowding we have had in past years.

Link to waivers:

https://wwwkayakers.forumotion.com/got-questions-need-answers-ask-a-club-member-f6/waivers-are-here-t607.htm#2690

Last edited by SillyHillyBilly on Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
https://wwwkayakers.forumotion.com
SillyHillyBilly
Admin
SillyHillyBilly

April 15, 2011 Friday 9:30-11 pm First Timers & Club Members Pool Session  Empty
PostSubject: Reminder   April 15, 2011 Friday 9:30-11 pm First Timers & Club Members Pool Session  Icon_minitimeSat Feb 12, 2011 1:19 pm

Please note: The first timers fee has been corrected to $20.

Also Regular members: We will be policing that:

1. You have paid your 2011 fees
2. You are using the sign in book
3. You are paying the pool session fees

Recently there has been a significant amount of people not following the proceedures and we are loosing a lot of money at the pool sessions.
Back to top Go down
Brad Mulligan

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2010-03-02

PostSubject: Re: April 15, 2011 Friday 9:30-11 pm First Timers & Club Members Pool Session    April 15, 2011 Friday 9:30-11 pm First Timers & Club Members Pool Session  Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 9:35 pm

I'm interested in signing myself and brother up for the first timers course on April 15.

Brad Mulligan and Brandon Mulligan

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
SillyHillyBilly
Admin
SillyHillyBilly

PostSubject: Thanks    April 15, 2011 Friday 9:30-11 pm First Timers & Club Members Pool Session  Icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2011 8:29 pm

I have added you guys to the list.
Back to top Go down
cirwin

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2011-03-06

PostSubject: New Kayakers   April 15, 2011 Friday 9:30-11 pm First Timers & Club Members Pool Session  Icon_minitimeSun Mar 06, 2011 8:14 pm

Hi,
Are there still spots available for April 15th for new kayakers? My sons are 12 and 10. My older son has done a week camp (2010) in Canmore and the other son would have if there had been room!
Thanks
Back to top Go down
Jamen

Jamen

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2010-05-19

PostSubject: Re: April 15, 2011 Friday 9:30-11 pm First Timers & Club Members Pool Session    April 15, 2011 Friday 9:30-11 pm First Timers & Club Members Pool Session  Icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 9:56 am

Hi Cirwin?

If your one son has done a week long camp in Canmore he may allready have most of the skills taught in this beginner session. This is what I will be teaching:

1. Wet Exits (How to get out of your boat when capsized)

2. How to hold the paddle

3. General paddling strokes i.e. forward, backward, sweep (turning), drawing, (side stroking), combination, and how to take your paddle out of
the water using a flick motion (sounds basic but most have trouble)

4. We also usually have time for an introduction to T-rescues (Uprighting your kayak with the help of another kayak

5. And if the group is really progressing then an intro to rolling

6. Finally, an introduction to how our club is run and operated from the roles of our members i.e. where gear is located, paying for sessions, helping with set-up, our schedule etc.

So if you think your 12 year old could benifit from this than we do have room and can surely sign him up!

Please just post your reply here and someone will add your names. In fact I will place both the names on the list and then if you think that your son doesn't need the course than I will remove his name from the list. If that is the case and your son still wants to paddle than we ask that you pay a club membership fee of either $60/family or $30/person. once a membership fee is paid and you have a beginner course of some sort under your belt, then you could come to any of our sheduled sessions. Anyhow, let me know what you decide.

Oh and if your boys do want to come to the First Timers session......PLEASE come a few minutes before 9 to do some paperwork and get gear together. If you arrive to late then it may prevent the rest of the group from getting on the water on time. We meet at the back entrance to the pool by the bleachers Very Happy

Okay I'll talk to ya then, thanks

-Jamen
(I will be your instructor)
Back to top Go down
Jamen

Jamen

PostSubject: Re: April 15, 2011 Friday 9:30-11 pm First Timers & Club Members Pool Session    April 15, 2011 Friday 9:30-11 pm First Timers & Club Members Pool Session  Icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 1:50 pm

The reserved spots are for Cirwin's boys.

-Jamen
Back to top Go down
Jamen

Jamen

PostSubject: All First Timer spots are gone   April 15, 2011 Friday 9:30-11 pm First Timers & Club Members Pool Session  Icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 3:09 pm

FYI

All First Timer spots are now taken. That concludes our 2010-2011 winter First Timer sessions. Please keep an eye on our Summer programming for more beginner courses and club sessions to come. There should be plenty of opportunities to take a level 1 course this summer or simply continue kayaking, be it on the river, playing Canoe Polo, or just goofin around. Very Happy

Thanks for EVERYONES help this winter!

-Jamen
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: April 15, 2011 Friday 9:30-11 pm First Timers & Club Members Pool Session    April 15, 2011 Friday 9:30-11 pm First Timers & Club Members Pool Session  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

April 15, 2011 Friday 9:30-11 pm First Timers & Club Members Pool Session
Page 1 of 1